Your session is booked and location picked out! Now is the often overwhelming task of coordinating and dressing the family! I’ve put together a few tips and some do’s and don’ts to help make things a little more simple.
- Plan out your outfits in advance, there is nothing more stressful than last minute trips to the mall to grab new pants for your son or sweater for your daughter because you realized too late that what you had picked out doesn’t fit!
- Consider the colours and style of your home. You’ll likely end up with some wall portraits in your home, so make sure the colours you choose blend seamlessly with your home decor!
- Coordinate but please don’t match! Everyone in white shirts and jeans? Boring! Select 2-3 colours and a neutral (jeans are a neutral!) and use layers and texture to add interest to your portraits! Think sweaters, scarves, jewellery, hats and belts etc. Avoid visible logos and graphics. Simple plaid or stripe patterns are ok, but don’t overdo it! Mix it up with some solids!
- Choose practical clothing items. This is an important item to keep in mind for every family member but, especially when you are thinking about what to dress your little ones in. If your kids are not comfortable then you are going to be in for a long photo shoot. Don’t make it more difficult on yourself or your photographer to get the perfect shot. Make sure that everyone is comfortable with their clothing to ensure all smiles.
- Lay each family member’s outfit together while planning so you can get a good idea about how the pieces will look next to each other. This will allow you a better idea of what works and what doesn’t. Plus, this way, you can make sure that you’re not missing any essential clothing items.
- Select outfits that will make for a timeless portrait. If all else fails, when you look in your closet to find the perfect family portrait outfits, think about staying classic. You’ll want your photos to be timeless. Styles come and go but, your photos are forever. Have fun playing stylist and let your family’s personality shine.