Pajama party anyone? These girlies were so fun to hang out with. Fancy dresses? Check. Pajamas? Check. Classy leather leggings? Check.
I love when clients bring multiple outfit changes, or are willing to try out some of my studio dresses for some variety in their galleries! Who doesn’t love to play dressup once in a while? Book your mini milestone session for some update photos of your little (or not so little) ones!
Your session is booked and location picked out! Now is the often overwhelming task of coordinating and dressing the family! I’ve put together a few tips and some do’s and don’ts to help make things a little more simple.
- Plan out your outfits in advance, there is nothing more stressful than last minute trips to the mall to grab new pants for your son or sweater for your daughter because you realized too late that what you had picked out doesn’t fit!
- Consider the colours and style of your home. You’ll likely end up with some wall portraits in your home, so make sure the colours you choose blend seamlessly with your home decor!
- Coordinate but please don’t match! Everyone in white shirts and jeans? Boring! Select 2-3 colours and a neutral (jeans are a neutral!) and use layers and texture to add interest to your portraits! Think sweaters, scarves, jewellery, hats and belts etc. Avoid visible logos and graphics. Simple plaid or stripe patterns are ok, but don’t overdo it! Mix it up with some solids!
- Choose practical clothing items. This is an important item to keep in mind for every family member but, especially when you are thinking about what to dress your little ones in. If your kids are not comfortable then you are going to be in for a long photo shoot. Don’t make it more difficult on yourself or your photographer to get the perfect shot. Make sure that everyone is comfortable with their clothing to ensure all smiles.
- Lay each family member’s outfit together while planning so you can get a good idea about how the pieces will look next to each other. This will allow you a better idea of what works and what doesn’t. Plus, this way, you can make sure that you’re not missing any essential clothing items.
- Select outfits that will make for a timeless portrait. If all else fails, when you look in your closet to find the perfect family portrait outfits, think about staying classic. You’ll want your photos to be timeless. Styles come and go but, your photos are forever. Have fun playing stylist and let your family’s personality shine.
“Sisters are for sharing laughter and wiping tears”
Growing up I had two sisters, my mom had 6 sisters, and now I have 3 daughters of my own (and a son;) I have always understood the undeniable bond and loyalty between siblings and the unconditional love that naturally comes with it. When I photographed these two adorable sisters, I couldn’t; help but wonder what they will be like as they get older, what special bond will they have. They will fight, they will laugh, they will giggle, they will sing and dance, and they will always have each other to lean on. There is nothing more beautiful than having a sister by your side!
Who says you need to have children to get updated family photos? This sister of mine and her hubby of 1 year (happy anniversary!) wanted some updated photos to document their love. What a great idea! Personally I can’t wait for them to add a little one (or 5) to the mix, but I guess as the sister/photographer, you don’t get to call those shots…. But I do get the priveledge of running around with my camera to capture their cuteness! Thanks Shane for being such a champ and following Nikki’s vision for this shoot. You deserve a medal. Or at least a crave cupcake. #amiright?
Who’s feeling ready for Christmas? I’ve had so much fun with the holiday mini sessions in studio but now that they are all wrapped up and photos are delivered, we’re ready to relax and enjoy some Christmas festivities! Need some inspiration for the last week before the big guy comes to town? Check out the links below!
Who doesn’t love walking around and visiting the animals while taking in the beautiful Zoo lights.
Want to do a little last minute shopping? Head over to the Calgary Christmas Market.
Enjoy the lights while Ice skating at Olympic Plaza.
Weekend wagon rides at Heritage Park.
I think I’m ready to grab a cup of coffee and kick back with a good book and the lit up tree in the background, but we definitely have some plans to go skating later! Happy Tuesday!